Thinking of implementing Automation in all your process flows? Worry not! We are here to provide smart Marine Navigation Systems integrated with effective technology. Read below to know more!
Automated boats and their advantages
Automated boats help improve command and control in the operations of ships and boats. The accessible systems in the automated boats enable the crew of the ships and boats to benefit from the plethora of advantages it provides. The boat maintenance is simplified, facilitated, and sped up when all the team members are together. Moreover, the integration of Automation in the marine navigation system has helped increase productivity and efficiency.
Reasons Why Marine Automation Systems Are Becoming Popular
There are several reasons to prove marine automation systems are becoming popular day by day. Some of those are:
- Enhanced Safety: Automation in the marine industry will ensure increased safety since it increases the efficiency of the boats during emergency situations. For instance, if your marine automation system spots a problem with your motor that could lead to costly repairs, it can immediately cut power to the motor and notify you of the problem. Automated systems have better and faster response time and, thus, can protect the Marine automation equipment from getting damaged.
- Higher resale value: Your boat’s resale value could be improved by installing an automated system. A marine automation system is an investment in the future resale value of your boat.
- Convenient: Automating security and safety features like door locks and alarm systems is becoming increasingly common. To automate doors and windows, marine actuators are installed. Almost any aspect of your boat can be automated, providing a level of convenience and luxury previously reserved for yacht owners.
- Simple Navigation: Generally, the marine automation systems enable an autopilot that automatically steers your boat to your desired location. This can be good during longer trips. You do not have to helm the vessel constantly.
Why will Automation be key for the future of shipping?
The major reasons why Automation will be the key to the future of shipping is because of the below-mentioned reasons:
- Improved Stability: Planning operations in the marine industry with the help of sensors, AI and other electronic equipment leads to a higher degree of process stability. Considering that priority is given to safety and speed factors, automated processes are organized compared to manual ones.
- Long-Term Benefits: Without human intervention, the port will run efficiently for years. Any essential adjustments that can be made and implemented directly result from the processes’ adaptability.
- Saves Time and Resources: To maximize operational efficiency, each step must be streamlined to take as little time as possible. Therefore, the time savings from automating processes is substantial.
Challenge of integrating Automation on ships
Some of the major challenges faced by the integration of Automation on ships are:
- High Cost of Capital Investment: Automating processes requires a substantial financial commitment from the outset. This is an unaffordable price for many ports, especially those in less developed or developing countries.
- Cyber Security Risks: A growing concern for Automation is cyber security. Even with safeguards, automated systems can still fall victim to various virus attacks and data loss. Security issues are an issue with port automation since they can result in high costs.
- High Cost of Maintenance: Regular updates are required for automated systems to take advantage of any new features introduced in the underlying software. All systems need to be upgraded, as failure to do so can lead to catastrophic security holes. This means ports will have to pay for constant maintenance.
To reduce all these challenges, we have developed essential strategies to help the businesses engaged in this sector.
Scope of Automation in the Marine Industry
Automation in the marine industry has progressed massively. Some examples of the integration of Automation in the marine industry involve equipment for unloading materials and handling cargo, digitizing ship records, docking and maintenance, managing inventory, and constructing appropriate infrastructure. Some of the potential scopes of Automation in the marine industry are:
- Automation at port gates: For keeping track of people who come and go out of the port gates, Automation can be used at port gates. Additional customs, immigration, and quarantine procedures are also part of this process for ships. These obligations are crucial, as they must be fulfilled to maintain the port’s safety. Manual conducting of these activities can be a tedious process; however, using Automation can facilitate the entire process making it more streamlined.
- Stacks and Inventory: Safety is one of the primary issues when constructing the robotic equipment used to help with freight transportation. Smart design considers the degree of interaction between machines and humans. Moreover, the complete procedure is examined to enhance inventory flow and eliminate bottlenecks in the various operations.
- Ship-to-shore cranes: Ship-to-shore cargo transfer is where the Internet of Things (IoT) logistics management comes into play. Unloading cranes can be either manned or unmanned; however, the latter has become increasingly common in recent years. Ships use automated cranes for unattended horizontal transfer of containers to the port, while automated yard cranes transport containers from the port to the ships.